5.07.2005

Odd Transformations 26: Disappointing Old Friends, Even In My Dreams

So I dreamt that I ran into my elementary school friend, Paul Landry (who, in my last dream, was running a theatre). He's decided, apparently, to switch roles in my dream and has a son, about six years old or so.

We run into each other at a Capilanoish mall and he introduces the two of us. I take his kid out for a bit while Paul runs errands: We play in the revolving doors, and silly stuff like that.

Paul and I start talking, and he starts talking about the shape of my life, and how I'm not going anywhere, and how he doesn't want to end up like me, being a geek and hanging out in a comic/gaming store and not really anything to show for my life.

My dream shifts, and although I seem to be in the same environment, I'm now with my high school friends Penny and Shauna.

They brought me a book they found at the bookstore. A book written by me. Since it was everything I wrote on this blog.

And the book was HUGE! Mainly because of the all-inclusive index spanning one half of the phone-book-sized tome. Every mention of something had a footnote to go along with it.

So the two girls were reading some of my stuff, praising me for it.

Looks like my dreams aren't completely my subconscious trying to shame me after all...

* * *

Sorry for the lack of updating. The past few weeks have been crazy.

If any of you have tried to hit a RadioShack or been on the website recently, you'll see that we are changing our name to The Source By Circuit City. And we're busting our asses getting ready for the change.

Everything labeled RadioShack must be packed up and sent out. For Capilano, that's about 40% of our inventory.

So it's been crazy that way.

But when you add on the OTHER problem, that being that Southgate's shortstaffed, and need someone to help them through THEIR changeover? And that I'm the guy they need?

In the past two days, I've worked 24 hours. (Canton, start your lack of pity....now.) At two different stores. And while things are going swimmingly at Cap, Southgate's a whole different kettle of fish.

At least I'm able to sell a bit at Southgate. As it is, I'll be there for the entirety of next week. But that store's so MESSY!

On a brighter note, this means I'll be two blocks away from girlone, and we actually have hangout plans on a night next week. This makes me happy.

Related story from Southgate:

I was working when a REALLY cute girl walked and came to my till. She started asking about cell phones.

Now, I'm not going to pass up the opportunity to talk with a petite brunette about cell phones. It gives me a good fifteen minutes to look at her and have her attention focused on me and how I can make her life better. (Yes, that's right. Signing you up on a contract means I'd be good in bed.)

So we're talking, I find her name's Jasmine and that she's 21. And she asks me if the phone will work in Mexico. So we look that up. And, yes, she can. Excellent.

I go in the back room for the cell phone. Chase, a Southgate worker, comes in the back, and says "Hey, Kyle."

Me: "You were talking to her about this before?"

Chase: "Yeah. Yesterday."

Me: "Tell you what. I'll ring it in under you, as long as I get to do everything for it."

Chase: "So let me get this straight. You do all the work, I get the sale?"

Me: "This is what I'm willing to do to talk to a very hot girl."

Chase: "Go to it."

Unfortunately, we don't have the phone, but we'll get one rushed in for her that night. So I'm filling out the forms, and ask her what's happening in Mexico.

"Oh, a few girlfriends and I are going there for a friend's brother's wedding."

Being a guy, I take the image I have of Jasmine in my mind and put her in suitable attire for a Mexican beach.

My left temple promptly explodes.

"Ah," I say. "That's pretty cool."

"Yeah," Jasmine says. "And it's free alcohol, 24/7. And free room service."

Being a guy, I take the image I have of a bikini-clad Jasmine in my mind and take away the inhibitions and add a hotel room.

My right temple promptly explodes.

I was able to function for the rest of the time I was with her. But I'm sure my synapses weren't quite firing properly.

* * *

My brother has just announced to me that he has a blog. Which is cool. But also means that he and I share the same Blogger name. Which could get confusing, if I decide to comment. Good thing for my pic in my profile.

* * *

Had Pavlov Improv last Saturday, and I actually performed. My boss and coworker were in the audience again.

At one point, during a scene involving a hand-washing ritual, I drop the waterbowl. And then slip in the water.

To which Dustin leans over to Mark and whispers, "Jago took a bump! How cool is that?"

It was a very fun time, and I played pretty well. And I urge more people to come out to these things, because you'll also have a good time.

* * *

After work yesterday, I drove like the dickens (10 minutes to get from Capilano Mall to NAIT beside Kingsway? And without breaking any traffic rules? Who's the king? I'm the king.) to get to the Prairie Wrestling Alliance show that both my co-workers are involved in.

D! and Elimination were there, and I got into the building just in time to hear: "Tag team champions Marky Mark and Phoenix Taylor!" And got to my seat just in time for Marky to give me props.

It was my second independent wrestling show I've been to. The first one happened when I was interning at CKCK TV in Regina, and had to cover a wrestling show. I wasn't really concerned with the wrestling that time, so much as I was laying out the package in my mind. (Side note: it was the first time anything I produced made it onto the air. Other than the writing I was doing. For my first package to be a wrestling show? It was the coolest thing, editing that video.)

Indy shows are a completely different animal from the WWE programming you see on TV.

First off, I knew the backstory behind this match. The opponent booked against Mark was talking trash about Mark and Phoenix a few weeks back. So they were going to "work" the match, make it a little more real. Not hold back on the move, rough the guy up a bit.

From ringside, D!, Elimination and I had the first-hand view of time, and yeah, some of those moves were definitely harder than they could have been.

The other guy on the opposing team was Harry Smith, son of "Bulldog" Davey Boy Smith, former WWE wrestler. And, man, he's BIG! He was also a face, working with a heel to take on a face team.

So, of course, after the match, J.D. Michaels started yelling at Harry, and Harry didn't want to take it anymore.

During the match, my favourite move is when my boss was thrown into the ropes, caught by his partner, who then Death Valley Drove Mark onto a prone J.D.

It was a good show (well, the three matches I saw), and the next night they'll be performing is mid-June, so you know I'm going to try to round up as many of my local wrestling friends as I can to come see it.

* * *

Blogger Spell Check of the Day: "Jasmine? You meant jazzmen, right?"

Book I Am Currently Reading: The Zero Game by Brad Meltzer. SUCH a good read.

What I Am Listening To: Sonic 102.9. They actually had a punk cover of Ring of Fire last night! HOW COOL IS THAT???

No comments: